Bucs to ease Darrelle Revis back
Darrelle Revis will be on the field when the Tampa Bay Buccaneers hold their first training camp practice Thursday, but the star cornerback will be eased back into action, coach Greg Schiano said Wednesday.
Schiano said at his news conference that Revis will "do some stuff, but we're not going to let him do everything."
"He's in good shape," Schiano said. "I want to play him back into football shape with cutting and moving with other guys, not just himself."
Revis, who tore his ACL on Sept. 23 of last season, has been running and cutting on the knee and has said he expects to be ready when the Bucs visit his former team, the New York Jets, in Week 1.
"With a guy like Darrelle, he's a professional," Schiano said. "He knows what he needs to do to get ready. We're going to help him and make sure he's ready to go when we start."
Schiano said he hasn't decided if Revis will play in any preseason games, but the Buccaneers' focus will be on having him ready to play in Week 1.
"A lot of it depends on how he looks [on the practice field]," Schiano said. "He's played in a lot of football games, but I think he probably wants to play, wants to be with his new teammates, play in this new scheme."
Information from ESPN.com's Pat Yasinskas was used in this report.
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Todd McShay's new mock has the Texans taking a QB at No. 1, but it's not Johnny Manziel.
- Nowhere To Land
- Jets mailbag: Will Mark Sanchez return or end up somewhere else?
- Devin Help Us
- Giants mailbag: Might Big Blue be interested in the great Devin Hester?
- '2014 Harvey Day Will Happen'
- Matt Harvey tweeted that he intends to pitch this year.
- Game Changer
- Michael Pineda was very impressive in his first exhibition outing Friday.
- No Laughing Matter
- The Knicks need Phil Jackson, and James Dolan needs to hand him the keys.
- Nike Men's Away Game Jersey Tampa Bay Buccaneers Darrelle Revis #24
MORE NFL HEADLINES