Quinton Coples injures ankle
On Sunday night, a Jets spokesperson confirmed that Coples injured his right ankle and will undergo a "medical procedure" on Tuesday. Coples will be out for the rest of the preseason and could miss more time.
Coples rushed Jacksonville quarterback Chad Henne with roughly five minutes left in the second quarter Saturday night, blocked a pass and appeared to fall awkwardly. He spent some time with the Jets trainers on the sidelines walking in front of the benches before heading to the locker room. He eventually left MetLife Stadium in a golf cart.
Coples had at times been struggling to set the edge after being converted from a defensive end to OLB this season. The Jets were looking for the 6-foot-6, 290-pound Coples to play a bigger and more versatile role in the defense this year, his second, after being drafted with the 16th overall pick in 2012.
Jets coach Rex Ryan has praised Coples, but he's also expressed frustration at times.
If Coples does miss time during the regular season due to the fracture, Antwan Barnes is second on the depth chart.
Information from ESPNNewYork.com's Rich Cimini was used in this report.
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
Todd McShay's new mock has the Texans taking a QB at No. 1, but it's not Johnny Manziel.
- '2014 Harvey Day Will Happen'
- Matt Harvey tweeted that he intends to pitch this year.
- Game Changer
- Michael Pineda was very impressive in his first exhibition outing Friday.
- No Laughing Matter
- The Knicks need Phil Jackson, and James Dolan needs to hand him the keys.
- Devin Help Us
- Giants mailbag: Might Big Blue be interested in the great Devin Hester?
- Nowhere To Land
- Jets mailbag: Will Mark Sanchez return or end up somewhere else?
- Rawlings New York Jets 3-Piece Grill Tool Set
MORE NFL HEADLINES