Allen fails Cowboys' conditioning test

OXNARD, Calif. -- Nine-time Pro Bowl offensive lineman
Larry Allen didn't participate in the opening practices of the Dallas
Cowboys training camp Saturday after being placed on the physically
unable to perform list after failing the team's conditioning test.

Coach Bill Parcells said the left guard didn't pass the
conditioning part of the physicals the team had Friday. Parcells
didn't say how long it would be before Allen would put on pads and
start going through drills.

"You have to exercise judgment whether you want to put the
players on the field," Parcells said. "He doesn't have an injury,
but if you can't perform ... I don't know what to call it."

While the team went through the first of two practices Saturday,
Allen worked with one of the team's strength coaches on the side.
Allen threw a heavy medicine ball back and forth with the coach,
and went through several running drills -- turning his head away
from Parcells as he ran near the coach at one point.

"The league has really mandated us to be very, very cautious in
light of some incidents that have happened in the past," Parcells
said in a reference to Minnesota offensive tackle Korey Stringer,
who collapsed and died in training camp in 2001. "So I would say
we're erring on the side of caution. That's the best way to put

Allen, who rarely speaks publicly, wasn't available for comment.

Despite issues with Allen in the past, Parcells insisted that he
wasn't angry at the lineman who has been a Pro Bowler in nine of
his 11 NFL seasons, including the last two.

"I'm not disappointed in anything," Parcells said.

Parcells wouldn't say who reported to camp overweight, but when
told that Allen looked as if his weight was down, the coach
responded: "I don't know how you would make that judgment about
his weight being down, that's not the case."

The team's training camp roster listed Allen at 325 pounds, 10
pounds lighter than he was listed in last season's media guide.

During Parcells' first training camp with Dallas in 2003, Allen
sat out several practices and got so frustrated during one drill
that he slammed his helmet down and sulked alone in the end zone.
He spent a lot of time riding a stationary bike while recovering
from ankle and shoulder surgery.