Philbin wanted to cut Richie Incognito
Miami Dolphins coach Joe Philbin wanted to release Richie Incognito in 2012 after the offensive lineman was accused of harassing a volunteer during the team's charity golf tournament, sources close to the league's investigation of the team told ESPN.
Philbin's wish to release Incognito in May 2012 was one of the more telling pieces of information revealed during hours of interviews recently conducted by independent investigator Ted Wells, according to sources.
More From ESPN.com
The extension of Richie Incognito's suspension was the best thing for the player and the Dolphins, James Walker writes. Blog
Philbin, who had been hired by the Dolphins in January 2012, made it known to others in the organization after the golf event that he believed the right move was to move on from Incognito, sources told ESPN.
But Philbin's wishes were overruled, and Incognito remained with the Dolphins, according to sources.
Philbin's wishes at that time could help explain why Dolphins owner Stephen Ross publicly offered undivided support for Philbin last month.
Incognito's four-game suspension, which was to conclude on Monday, has been extended with pay until the league completes its investigation into the Dolphins' workplace.
The Dolphins suspended Incognito on Nov. 3 for detrimental conduct, including threatening and using a racial slur against teammate Jonathan Martin.
The agreement was reached Nov. 21, the day Incognito's grievance hearing with the league was scheduled to be held, and is the reason he postponed the hearing, league sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen.