Stieglitz, Abraham to fight again
Super middleweight titlist Robert Stieglitz and former titleholder Arthur Abraham will meet for the third time on March 1 in Magdeburg, Germany, after SES Boxing promoter Ulf Steinforth won a purse bid to gain promotional rights to the fight on Sunday at the auction in Budapest.
Steinforth, who promotes Stieglitz, bid $3,135,000 to easily beat the only other offer, which was $1,541,414 by Abraham promoter Sauerland Event at the WBO purse bid. The minimum bid was $300,000.
Rafael's Boxing Blog
Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.
"Of course, I am happy that we won the purse bid, but especially for Robert, my SES team and our [German] TV partner SAT.1," Steinforth said. "I am happy because there is more planning certainty for us."
As the titleholder, Stieglitz is entitled to 75 percent of the winning bid ($2,351,250) while Abraham will get the remaining 25 percent challenger's share ($783,750).
Stieglitz was born in Russia but lives in Magdeburg, so he will have the home-turf advantage against Abraham (38-4, 28 KOs), 33, who was born in Armenia and lives in Berlin.
"That's good job by my promoter Ulf Steinforth," Stieglitz said of his winning the purse bid. "Now I can concentrate on the preparation and on the fight against Arthur. I am also happy for my fans in Germany and especially for Magdeburg."
The rubber match between Stieglitz and Abraham is a major fight in Germany -- and they have a score to settle. Abraham, a former middleweight titleholder, edged Stieglitz to win the super middleweight belt in their first fight in August 2012. But in the rematch in March, Stieglitz dominated en route to a fourth-round knockout victory to regain the 168-pound title, setting the stage for the rubber match, which became inevitable when Abraham, who has won both of his bouts since the stoppage loss to Stieglitz, was recently named the mandatory challenger.
Stieglitz (46-3, 26 KOs), 32, has a contract with SAT.1 while all of Sauerland's fights are on ARD in Germany, which was an issue in negotiating the fight and essentially forced it to a purse bid.
MORE BOXING HEADLINES
- Pacquiao reply to Mayweather: Let's get it on
- Fury to fight in Feb., risk status vs. Klitschko
- Stiverne to make first defense against Wilder
- Bradley Jr., Chaves fight to welterweight draw