Doug Baldwin says he will report
Baldwin was a restricted free agent at the end of last season. He was given a second-round tender by the Seahawks of $2.187 million for the 2014 season. Baldwin has not signed the tender, but has no intention of holding out.
"If I did that it would not allow me to pursue my passion of playing football," Baldwin said Thursday on KJR radio in Seattle. "Sitting out does nothing for me, regardless of what people say about leverage.
"I like to go against the grain. I don't like to do things that other people might do. That's just not me. I feel like there's a better way of handling things and doing so in a professional manner, as well. I'm going to play this season, regardless whether it's under the tender or an extension. If we're unable to work it out, then I'll sign the tender and become an unrestricted free agent next year."
Baldwin was asked what he thinks the chances are that he will work out a contract extension with the Seahawks.
"I can't give you the chances, because we're still very early in the conversation stage," he said. "I have received an offer and have given them a counter offer. It's going to take some time. It's just a process of negotiations. Hopefully we can get something done."
Baldwin, 25, is starting his fourth NFL season. The Stanford product caught 50 passes in the regular season last year, including five touchdown receptions. He also caught 13 passes over the three playoff games. Baldwin had six receptions in the NFC Championship against San Francisco and five in the Super Bowl against Denver, including one touchdown.