Brian Orakpo extension unlikely
Orakpo signed an $11.45 million franchise tender earlier this offseason but made it known that he'd welcome a long-term deal with Washington, which drafted him 13th overall in 2009.
Though he's been an effective player since, his career-best sack total is 11, which was set as a rookie. He's coming off a 10-sack season and has never recorded fewer than seven when he's played a full season.
In March, first-year Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he "wouldn't mind letting (Orakpo) play out this franchise tag and see what happens."
"He's a talented player," Gruden said. "I think he can do a little better, we can ask more of him to where he could be more productive."
Information from ESPN.com's John Keim was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers tops Watt, collects 2nd MVP award
- Seau, Bettis, Shields among 8 in HOF class
- Cardinals' Arians wins 2nd coach of year honor
- Watt 1st unanimous DPOY; Murray honored
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
THE NFL ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey Washington Redskins Brian Orakpo #98