<
>

Mike McCoy contract extended through 2017

SAN DIEGO -- Chargers general manager Tom Telesco told reporters Friday that embattled coach Mike McCoy had signed a one-year extension, linking McCoy to the team through the 2017 season.

McCoy was considered on the hot seat after the Chargers, expected to compete for a playoff spot, finished 4-12 in his third season. But McCoy told reporters last week that Chargers chairman Dean Spanos said he had 100 percent confidence in him and that the team had retained his services.

The one-year extension should provide a bit more security as the Chargers attempt to replace six assistants, including offensive coordinator Frank Reich, who were fired by McCoy last week.

"We have a belief in Mike and a confidence in him," Telesco said. "And part of that is the extension. If you want to be a stable, winning organization in this league, you have to weather a couple storms. And obviously this year was a big storm.

"But I think we had to look at it in terms of big picture rather than this year. We had to look at it over three years."

Telesco went on to say that McCoy is someone the organization wants to build around.

In three seasons with San Diego, McCoy has compiled a 22-26 record, including back-to-back 9-7 seasons in his first two years.

McCoy expects a quick turnaround in 2016 because the Chargers were competitive in most games, with nine of their losses by eight or fewer points. But the Chargers finished the year by losing 10 of their final 12 games.

Telesco received a contract extension in December and is signed through 2019. He was asked why McCoy didn't receive a similar extension.

"We just thought that was appropriate for right now," Telesco said. "It was an organizational decision, and we thought that was the appropriate decision for right now."