INDIANAPOLIS -- Cowboys QB Tony Romo said via text message he most likely will have a protective plate surgically implanted to help strengthen his left collarbone after undergoing a CT scan next week.
Romo's collarbone was broken twice in 2015 (three times since 2010).
The surgery is expected to take place within the next two weeks and Romo will be able to participate in the organized team activities in May and June. There had been talk Romo would undergo a Mumford procedure, in which the distal part of the clavicle would have been shaved down to alleviate potential pressure from the shoulder.
Despite the pending surgery and Romo's recent injury history, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones reaffirmed his faith in Romo, saying he believes he "will be doing the heavy lifting for us at quarterback and for the team for the next four or five years."
Romo will have the CT scan once the team's medical staff returns from the scouting combine in Indianapolis. A CT scan earlier in the offseason showed the bone was healing properly after he suffered a hairline fracture on Thanksgiving against the Carolina Panthers. The initial break came Sept. 20 against the Philadelphia Eagles and forced Romo to miss seven games.
Speaking earlier in the week at the combine, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said either option would be "a preventative type surgery, and I think he's wanting to make sure if he does do it, it's the right way to do it."
The Cowboys went 3-1 in Romo's four starts in 2015. He completed 83 of 121 passes for 884 yards with five touchdown passes and seven interceptions. Romo's replacements, Brandon Weeden, Matt Cassel and Kellen Moore, combined for a 1-11 record.
Romo, who turns 36 in April, has said numerous times he has many productive years ahead of him and that his surgically repaired back is feeling as good as it has felt in years because he has been able to step up his early offseason conditioning work. Romo missed one game in both 2013 and '14 with back trouble.