Brian Orakpo tired of Redskins' drama

Updated: July 26, 2011, 5:04 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

Brian Orakpo is tired of the "nonsense" surrounding Albert Haynesworth and the Washington Redskins.

"This year, we're not going through all that Albert nonsense. If he's, if he's not, I don't want to discuss it," the two-time Pro Bowl outside linebacker told CSNWashington.com on Tuesday. "I love Albert to death, wish him the best. If he's here, there's a role; if he's not, we have to move on and forget about the saga with Albert, [Donovan] McNabb, you name it. We just have to start winning ballgames and forget about all the drama we go through each and every year."

The 30-year-old Haynesworth is two years into a seven-year, $100 million contract with the Redskins, who signed him in 2009 to what was then an NFL record of $41 million in guaranteed money.

But Haynesworth clashed repeatedly with coach Mike Shanahan and frequently skipped workouts. Shanahan suspended Haynesworth for the final four games of last season for conduct detrimental to the team.

The Redskins open training camp Wednesday and whether Haynesworth will be there remains a question.

"He's still under contract so I expect him to be here," Orakpo, who has 19.5 sacks in his two NFL seasons, told the website.

Even if Haynesworth does show, Orakpo says the Redskins need to get back to focusing on football and not the drama that enveloped the team in Shanahan's first season as coach.

"It wears you down; we try to say it don't," Orakpo told CSNWashington.com. "We want to focus on the team. I thought last year and the previous year, we talked too much about individuals that were having problems with the organization instead of trying to go out there and perform well."

"We need to forget about the nonsense and negativity. That's how it's supposed to be done. That's what the great teams do."

Haynesworth was charged in two separate incidents this offseason. He settled out of court in a road-rage incident and also was accused of fondling a waitress at a hotel bar in Washington. He has pleaded not guilty in that case and is scheduled to go on trial in August.

The two-time Pro Bowl player originally was drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the first round of the 2002 draft. He has 30½ career sacks and six forced fumbles in nine NFL seasons.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

ALSO SEE