Sources: Frank Gore wants new deal
The 28-year-old Gore has one year and $5 million remaining on his contract. Gore's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, could not be reached for comment.
Gore believes he must try to get a new deal now, after he fractured his hip last season. He already has undergone two knee surgeries and two shoulder surgeries.
San Francisco was planning to lean on Gore, with Alex Smith the likely starting quarterback. With that leverage, Gore believes the time to get his last lucrative NFL deal is now.
Adam Schefter is ESPN's NFL Insider.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Chargers FG caps 2nd-half rally over 49ers
- Eagles' playoff chances hurt as Redskins win
- Big-play Jackson questions 'naive' Eagles D
- Sources: Goodell says no L.A. team in 2015
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
WEEK 1 PICKS
MORE NFL COVERAGE
2011 NFL PREVIEW
JOHN CLAYTON QB RANKINGS
- Chris Mortensen retweeted
- Jeff Dickerson retweeted
- John Keim retweeted