Matt Cassel to IR with broken hand
Cassel had surgery on his right throwing hand Nov. 14 after being injured one day earlier in a 17-10 loss to Denver. He was placed on IR shortly before Monday night's 34-3 loss to the New England Patriots. His absence made Tyler Palko, who had thrown 13 NFL passes, the first-stringer with rookie Ricky Stanzi the backup.
The teams met for the first time since Sept. 7, 2008 when Cassel, then with the Patriots, came in after Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury in the first quarter.
The Chiefs filled Cassel's roster spot with wide receiver Jeremy Horne, who has played in six games with the Chiefs in 2010 and 2011.
Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Source: Giants physical for Rodgers-Cromartie
- Ex-Seahawks CB Thurmond signs with Giants
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 11 COVERAGE
BEARS' JAY CUTLER OUT
MNF: Patriots 34, Chiefs 3
- The Highland Mint New England Patriots Tom Brady Photo Mint