Jerome Simpson pleads not guilty
Simpson entered the plea on Monday in Kenton County Circuit Court in Covington. A grand jury indicted the four-year veteran on one count of marijuana trafficking in excess of 8 ounces on Jan. 19.
Simpson has been under investigation since September when agents from California tracked a package shipped to his northern Kentucky home. They said it contained 2½ pounds of marijuana. Authorities said a search of Simpson's home also turned up 6 more pounds of marijuana, smoking pipes and scales.
The 2008 second-round draft pick from Coastal Carolina caught 53 passes for 758 yards and four touchdowns this season. Simpson can become a free agent after completing the final year of his contract.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Urlacher: Bears should stick with McCown
- Ravens' Elam on Megatron: 'He's pretty old'
- NFL to look at big changes for replay system
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
SUPER BOWL XLVI
SUPER BOWL XLVI: Giants 21, Patriots 17
PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Forever Collectibles Cincinnati Bengals Clear Messenger Bag