49ers confirm Carlos Rogers deal
SAN FRANCISCO -- The San Francisco 49ers announced Friday that they re-signed cornerback Carlos Rogers.
Rogers, who shared the team lead with six interceptions last season, received a $31.3 million, four-year contract.
"We are extremely pleased to re-sign an All-Pro player like Carlos," said general manager Trent Baalke. "His leadership and performance were integral to our success as a team. We look forward to his continued contributions, both on and off the field."
Drafted No. 9 overall by the Redskins in 2005, Rogers never lived up to the team's expectations in Washington that included questions on how he stacked up against fellow defensive backs Shawn Springs, Fred Smoot or DeAngelo Hall.
But Rogers gave San Francisco a reliable, athletic cornerback to replace Nate Clements, who was released by the 49ers last summer in a cost-cutting move before training camp.
"I'm excited about all the moves they made, especially keeping the defense the same," Pro Bowl running back Frank Gore told The Associated Press on Wednesday in a phone interview from Miami. "It was one of the best defenses last year. If they come back and play together, they can be even better. We're going to be a good team."
"Rock has been a standout special teams contributor, who has also shown versatility at the running back position," 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said. "He has all of the intangibles that we look for in a 49er."
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Redskins to start McCoy over RG III
- Sherman, Baldwin rip Lynch fine with parody
- Hernandez's trial in double slaying delayed
- Raiola: Not fined for late cut block vs. Pats
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com