Paddle-out tribute honors Junior Seau
OCEANSIDE, Calif. -- Several hundred people have taken part in a paddle-out in front of Junior Seau's Southern California home to pay tribute to the former NFL linebacker.
The Los Angeles Times reports that participants at Sunday's seaside memorial included Seau's former teammate Drew Brees, who played quarterback for the San Diego Chargers when Seau was the star linebacker.
The 43-year-old Seau committed suicide Wednesday at his home in Oceanside.
Seau was an avid surfer who was often seen riding the waves in front of his home. Fans and well-wishers formed a circle across the water and held hands while a prayer was said for him.
They also chanted Seau's name and the number 55, his number at Southern California and during 20 years in the NFL.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Lynch offers statement, doesn't answer Q's
- 'Beast Mode' pop-up store doing brisk sales
- Gordon fires at critics in letter: I'm no addict
- Player: Seahawks miffed over HGH tests
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Junior Seau: 1969-2012
JUNIOR SEAU DIES
- Nike Men's Home Elite Jersey New Orleans Saints Drew Brees #9