Panthers sign punter Nick Harris
Harris signed a one-year deal.
The 6-foot-2, 218-pound Harris is an 11-year NFL veteran and played in 11 games with Jacksonville last season. He averaged 42.7 yards per punt.
Since beginning his NFL career with Cincinnati in 2001, Harris has placed 239 of his 876 career punts inside the 20-yard line. He spent seven seasons with Detroit and remains the Lions' leader in punts (627) and punting yards (27,073).
Nortman, from Wisconsin, became the first punter drafted by the Panthers when they selected him in the sixth round in April. They wanted to sign Harris as an insurance policy.
The Panthers released longtime punter Jason Baker earlier in a salary-cap move.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rangers take Seahawks QB Wilson in draft
- Bears to start Cutler at QB against Browns
- Megatron to show Elam 'old man's strength'
- Redskins: RG III still starter entering 2014
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Great American Products Carolina Panthers 2-Piece GameBall Coffee Mug Set