Buccaneers sign safety Mark Barron
The hard-hitting safety from Alabama was the seventh overall selection after helping the Crimson Tide win the BCS championship last season. He's expected to become a starter for a team that allowed an NFL-high 494 points in 2011.
Barron was a two-time team captain at Alabama, where he appeared in every game over his final three seasons. The Crimson Tide led the nation in rushing, passing, scoring and total defense a year ago when Barron was a finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, presented annually to the nation's best defensive back.
The Bucs announced the signing Friday, a day after rookies reported for training camp. The first full-squad workout is July 27.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers has idea of status, but not saying
- Sources: Welker not expected back vs. Texans
- Harbaugh: 'Absolutely' want to be with 49ers
- Browner vows to sue NFL if ban not dropped
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Northwest Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team-Colored Burst Sherpa Throw