Former NFL player Art Malone dies
TEMPE, Ariz. -- Former NFL and Arizona State running back Art Malone has died. He was 64.
Arizona State announced on Tuesday that Malone died on Friday.
Malone played seven seasons in the NFL after being drafted in the second round by Atlanta. He played five seasons with the Falcons and two with Philadelphia, rushing for 2,457 yards and 19 touchdowns, with 1,465 yards and six touchdowns on 161 receptions.
Malone played for the Sun Devils from 1967-69 and rushed for 2,649 yards, seventh-most in school history. Malone rushed for 1,431 yards in 1968 and had 239 yards against New Mexico that season, both third-most in school history.
A memorial service is scheduled for Saturday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Palmer, Fitzgerald good to go, sources say
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Arizona State Sun Devils Full-Size Autograph Football