Lineman Marcus McNeill to retire
A neck injury will prevent the 28-year-old McNeill from playing again, Keels said.
McNeill played six seasons in San Diego, where he signed a six-year, $48.895 million deal before he was released last March.
McNeill injured his neck during a loss to the Oakland Raiders on Nov. 10 last season. He was placed on season-ending injured reserve later that month.
A two-time Pro Bowler, McNeill was a second-round draft pick of the Chargers in 2006 out of Auburn. He will finish his career with 82 starts and two fumble recoveries.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- 49ers' Smith won't face felony in airport case
- Sherman: 'Dollars' best way to show respect
- Source: Panthers pick up Newton's option
- Kosar: Concussions cost me broadcasting job
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Little Earth Oakland Raiders Ultimate Carry-All Bag