Steve Smith (infection) on crutches
Coach Ron Rivera says Smith is being treated with antibiotics, but the wide receiver's status for the remainder of the preseason is unknown. Smith was seen walking around the stadium on crutches, but was unavailable for comment Wednesday.
Panthers middle linebacker Jon Beason also was held out of practice with a strained hamstring.
The Panthers face the New York Jets on Sunday and then wrap up the preseason the following Thursday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. The Panthers could decide to hold both star players out until the regular season.
Rivera says Carolina's starters will play into the third quarter on Sunday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers not cleared, still under evaluation
- Broncos' Welker still not cleared to practice
- Source: Garvin fined $25K for hit on Huber
- Flacco to wear knee brace against Patriots
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Cam Newton #1