Isaac Redman starts for Steelers
Redman was in the opening backfield despite a nonsurgical hip injury revealed last month, about the time Rashard Mendenhall was activated from the physically unable to perform list.
Mendenhall, who was inactive for the game, still is not fully recovered from a torn ACL suffered last January.
The Steelers had said they weren't counting on Mendenhall this season, but general manager Kevin Colbert didn't rule out a return by the running back at some point in 2012.
Entering his fifth season, Mendenhall has two 1,000-yard campaigns on his résumé and has rushed for 3,367 yards and 29 touchdowns.
Redman, a third-year player out of Bowie State, has rushed for 726 yards in two seasons.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Seahawks' Lynch starts holdout over contract
- Steelers holding off on new Big Ben contract
- Cowboys' McClain convicted, already appeals
- Saints TE Graham glad contract 'mess' over
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 1 COVERAGE
MNF: Ravens 44, Bengals 13
Chargers 22, Raiders 14
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Nike Women's Home Game Jersey Pittsburgh Steelers Troy Polamalu #43