Robert Griffin III makes history
ASHBURN, Va. -- Robert Griffin III is the first rookie quarterback to win an offensive player of the week award after his debut game.
SportsNation: Maden Analyzes Griffin
John Madden called Robert Griffin III a ''Tim Tebow who can throw''. Is this an accurate statement?
Comment and vote!
The No. 2 overall draft pick completed 19 of 26 passes for 320 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions in Sunday's victory -- making him the first player in league history to amass 300-plus yards passing, two or more passing touchdowns and no interceptions in an NFL debut.
Griffin is also the first rookie quarterback to throw for at least 300 yards and win a season opener.
The league started giving the player of the week awards in 1984.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers tops Watt, collects 2nd MVP award
- Seau, Bettis, Shields among 8 in HOF class
- Cardinals' Arians wins 2nd coach of year honor
- Watt 1st unanimous DPOY; Murray honored
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 2 COVERAGE
WEEK 2 PICKS
MNF: BRONCOS AT FALCONS
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Nike Youth Home Game Jersey New Orleans Saints Marques Colston #12