Junior Seau to be honored by city
SAN DIEGO -- The board of directors at the San Diego Hall of Champions has decided to forego the normal voting process and induct Junior Seau into the Breitbard Hall of Fame on Feb. 25.
Candidates normally aren't eligible to be voted in until two years after their careers end or their deaths.
Seau, the hard-hitting, fist-pumping leader of the Chargers for 13 of his 20 NFL seasons, committed suicide May 2. He grew up in suburban Oceanside and was a star at Southern California.
Denise Cooper, president of the Hall of Champions, says Seau "was pretty special and we wanted to do this immediately."
The Chargers retired Seau's No. 55 on Sunday.
The other inductees will be announced next week.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Peterson just 'having fun' with Sherman feud
- NFL on Gordon: Culpable for what's in body
- Ravens' Harbaugh: Proud of Rice's response
- Cowboys sign OT Smith to $110M contract
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 2 COVERAGE
MNF: FALCONS 27, BRONCOS 21
2013 NFL DRAFT
- Rawlings San Diego Chargers Signature Series Full-Size Football