Adrian Clayborn's season over

Updated: September 24, 2012, 5:32 PM ET
By Pat Yasinskas | ESPN.com

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have lost second-year defensive end Adrian Clayborn for the season, coach Greg Schiano said Monday.

Clayborn, a first-round pick last year, suffered a right knee injury in Sunday's loss to Dallas.

The Bucs likely will turn to George Johnson or Daniel Te'o-Nesheim as the starting end opposite Michael Bennett. The team also could seek to add a defensive end to add depth in the short term.

But there is hope on the horizon. Defensive end Da'Quan Bowers, a second-round pick last year, is on the physically unable to perform list and is eligible to begin practicing after the season's sixth week. Bowers suffered a torn Achilles tendon in May, but the Bucs have said his rehabilitation is ahead of schedule and general manager Mark Dominik previously expressed optimism Bowers might be able to play late in the season.

Clayborn had 7½ sacks as a rookie and was in on two tackles this season.

Pat Yasinskas | email

ESPN Tampa Bay Buccaneers reporter

ALSO SEE