Man tried to extort Hines Ward
Allegheny County prosecutors say 26-year-old Joshua Van Auker was arrested Thursday after trying to extort the money through one of Ward's personal assistants. They say Van Auker threatened to release information alleging Ward had paid women for sex.
An affidavit says the assistant gave Van Auker money provided by law enforcement.
Van Auker was arrested by Allegheny County detectives. He's awaiting arraignment. It's unclear if he has an attorney. No telephone listing for him can be found.
Ward was MVP when the Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2006. He retired in March after 14 seasons with Pittsburgh.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- NFL to release schedule Wednesday night
- Mara: Expanded NFL playoffs likely out for '14
- Woodley: Raiders 'definitely' a playoff team
- Bills' Marrone had cancerous mole removed
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 7 COVERAGE
- FANMATS Pittsburgh Steelers-Cleveland Browns House Divided Mat