Panthers put Chris Gamble on IR
Panthers coach Ron Rivera says the team has placed nine-year veteran cornerback Chris Gamble on injured reserve with a torn right labrum in his right shoulder.
Gamble, the team's all-time leader in interceptions, sat out the last two games with the injury.
Rivera says Gamble will need surgery.
The Panthers are also waiting to make a decision on whether to place middle linebacker Jon Beason on injured reserve. Beason, who missed 15 games in 2011 with a torn Achilles, is battling knee and shoulder problems this season.
The Panthers have not made a roster move to replace Gamble.
Carolina (1-5) heads to Chicago on Sunday to face the Bears.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- 49ers' Smith won't face felony in airport case
- Sherman: 'Dollars' best way to show respect
- Source: Panthers pick up Newton's option
- Kosar: Concussions cost me broadcasting job
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 7 COVERAGE
- Nike Women's Away Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Cam Newton #1