Panthers put Chris Gamble on IR
Panthers coach Ron Rivera says the team has placed nine-year veteran cornerback Chris Gamble on injured reserve with a torn right labrum in his right shoulder.
Gamble, the team's all-time leader in interceptions, sat out the last two games with the injury.
Rivera says Gamble will need surgery.
The Panthers are also waiting to make a decision on whether to place middle linebacker Jon Beason on injured reserve. Beason, who missed 15 games in 2011 with a torn Achilles, is battling knee and shoulder problems this season.
The Panthers have not made a roster move to replace Gamble.
Carolina (1-5) heads to Chicago on Sunday to face the Bears.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers has idea of status, but not saying
- Browner vows to sue NFL if ban not dropped
- Harbaugh: 'Absolutely' want to be with 49ers
- No salsa: Giants' Cruz has left knee surgery
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
NFL WEEK 7 COVERAGE
- Rico Carolina Panthers Banner Flag