Malcom Floyd (neck) improving

Updated: September 23, 2013, 6:15 PM ET
By Eric Williams | ESPN.com

SAN DIEGO -- San Diego Chargers coach Mike McCoy said Monday that wide receiver Malcom Floyd's neck injury has improved.

However, McCoy would not speculate on when the 32-year-old Floyd would be healthy enough to return to the field.

"He's getting better," McCoy said. "You guys will laugh when I say this, but he's taking it day by day to kind of just get back to where he needs to be.

"I'm not going to set a timetable on it right now today. He's going to be in. I'm going to sit with the doctors again this afternoon, and kind of figure out exactly where he's at, and see where we're at moving forward."

Floyd suffered the injury on Sept. 15 in the Chargers' win over the Philadelphia Eagles. While trying to haul in Philip Rivers' pass across the middle of the field, Floyd took a hard hit delivered by Philadelphia's DeMeco Ryans and Nate Allen.

Floyd was taken off the field on a stretcher and transported to a hospital for further observation. A CT scan on Floyd's neck was negative.

Floyd wore a cervical collar last week, and the Chargers sent his scans to Dr. Robert Watkins, a back and spine specialist, for further evaluation. He did not travel with the team to Tennessee for Sunday's 20-17 loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Comments

Use a Facebook account to add a comment, subject to Facebook's Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Your Facebook name, photo & other personal information you make public on Facebook will appear with your comment, and may be used on ESPN's media platforms. Learn more.


ALSO SEE