Fins addressed alleged 2012 incident
DAVIE, Fla. -- Miami Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin confirmed that suspended guard Richie Incognito was investigated last year for allegedly molesting a female volunteer at the team's golf tournament.
More from ESPN.com
Threats. Insults. Racial slurs. This might be the norm for the Miami Dolphins right now, but this is simply not very normal, writes James Walker. Blog
• NFL Nation: Who's more responsible?
• SportsNation: Give us your take
• Radio: Colin Cowherd | Jack Ford
• First Take: Skip, Stephen A react
Jason Whitlock says that a prison yard mentality is largely to blame for the highly charged dysfunction surrounding Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin. Story
• NFL Nation: Players' reactions
• Gutierrez: Olson, Incognito speak
• Grantland: War on warrior culture
• espnW: What is a real man in sports?
• Isaacson: How does it end?
"That incident occurred a year and a half ago," Philbin said Saturday. "We were made aware of the incident and we took immediate action."
Philbin declined to elaborate on what kind of actions were taken against Incognito. Philbin also did not reveal whether the NFL was alerted.
Incognito played all 16 games in 2012 and was eventually voted onto Miami's leadership counsel by his teammates in 2013.
No charges were filed against Incognito following the incident at the team's golf tournament, which took place in Aventura, Fla.
However, the police report states that the volunteer told police that Incognito "used his golf club to touch her by rubbing it up against her vagina, then up her stomach then to her chest. He then used the club to knock a pair of sunglasses off the top of her head."
The story was first reported Thursday by WPLG-ABC in Miami.
The woman, who is black, told several media outlets she has declined to talk because she had signed a confidentiality agreement.
The Dolphins suspended Incognito indefinitely last Sunday due to alleged harassment and misconduct toward teammate Jonathan Martin, who left the team due to emotional issues.
The story caused a national media firestorm, prompting the NFL to investigate the Dolphins, Incognito and Martin.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Broncos sign WR Sanders to 3-year deal
- Texans' Foster medically cleared to return
- Ex-Seahawks CB Thurmond signs with Giants
- Source: Pace re-signs with Jets for 2 years