QB Kyle Boller retires
"I met with him this morning and he does not want to continue to play football," Chargers coach Norv Turner told reporters Saturday.
Boller, a first-round pick of the Baltimore Ravens in the 2003 draft, played the past two seasons with the Oakland Raiders. Last year for Oakland, Boller played in two games, completing 15 of 28 passes for 161 yards and three interceptions.
The Chargers lost backup Charlie Whitehurst on Thursday when he rolled his left leg during a practice session.
According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Billy Volek, who had been the Chargers' backup from 2006-12, turned down a contract offer from the team Thursday.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Source: Manziel will work out for Browns
- Kelly leaves NYC to continue cancer treatment
- Saban: Talks with Peyton, Gase not together
- Source: 49ers likely to pass on Smith option
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Nike Men's Away Game Jersey San Diego Chargers Philip Rivers #17