WR Steve Smith has bruised knee
That's what the Panthers did, figuratively, to Smith on Wednesday by forcing the veteran receiver to sit out of practice one day after he bruised his left knee at practice.
Rivera says Smith is "getting better" and should return soon.
Smith, the elder statesman on the roster entering his 12th season, appeared fine as he walked along the sidelines flipping a ball in the air during practice.
Rivera says the Smith, a five-time Pro Bowl selection, "practices harder than most of the players on the roster" and that "sometimes the best thing to do is to take his pads and hide them on him."
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Super costly: Tickets may hit all-time high
- Sources: Pats victim of late-night fire alarms
- Super Bowl prop bettors favor safeties, OT
- Haden: Browns don't think Manziel 'a joke'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Nike Men's Away Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Luke Kuechly #59