Dolphins: Chad Johnson didn't fit
It wasn't about one specific thing; it just wasn't going to work.” -- Dolphins coach Joe Philbin
"With any type of these decisions, it was not an easy one," Philbin said. "It was not reactive nor was it based on one single incident."
Philbin said the Dolphins simply decided the fit was wrong for both the team and Johnson.
"Again, it was more a body of evidence from June 11 forward. When he came in on June 11, we sat down and we talked and I was very clear as to the expectations of the program. It just didn't work out," he said. "It's more about the fit; in my gut I didn't think the fit was going to be beneficial to either party moving forward, whether in the short term or the long term. That's really what it was all about. It wasn't about one specific thing; it just wasn't going to work."
Dolphins linebacker Karlos Dansby voiced his displeasure at Johnson's release in an interview with a South Florida radio station Monday.
"I hate that we didn't stand behind him," Dansby told WMEN-AM on Monday. "I know the guys in the locker room would. But the organization felt a totally different way about the situation, and they probably had more information than we know. And they had to do what they had to do."
Dansby said that by releasing Johnson, the Dolphins created a bigger distraction than what would have occurred if the receiver was still a member of the team.
"It's going to be an even bigger distraction right now, I think, because of the simple fact we let him go," Dansby told the radio station. "I think if we were going to be with the guy, if he was going to be our guy, we have to stand behind him -- even though the situation came about. He didn't get that third strike."
Philbin, asked about Dansby's comments, said he believes the linebacker should have kept his concerns "in-house."
"I believe this: let's be honest, you have a boss, I have a boss," he said. "I don't always agree with what the boss says every time. I'm of the opinion that you should keep things in-house in that regard."
The Dolphins terminated Johnson's contract Sunday night, about 24 hours after he was arrested in a domestic battery case involving his wife. Johnson was released from jail on $2,500 bond earlier Sunday after his wife accused him of head-butting her during an argument.
On Monday, the 911 call placed Saturday night was released by police. A neighbor made the call and at one point said Lozada "probably is going to need stitches."
The neighbor also stressed the high profile nature of the couple while talking to the 911 operator.
"We'd like to keep it as quiet as possible," the neighbor said. "We don't need the news here."
Earlier in the week, Philbin said Johnson's roster spot could be in jeopardy if he didn't temper his freewheeling behavior. Johnson annoyed the coach by frequently using profanity during a session with reporters.
Meanwhile, VH1 said Monday that a planned reality show starring Johnson and his wife has been canceled.
"Due to the unfortunate events over the weekend and the seriousness of the allegations, VH1 is pulling the series 'Ev and Ocho' from its schedule and has no current plans of airing it."
The show, featuring the recently married couple, was scheduled to premiere on Sept. 3.
Information from ESPN.com's Darren Rovell and The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Sources: Jets, ex-Titans RB Johnson agree
- Peyton ready to move on from Super Bowl
- Source: QB Freeman, Giants agree to deal
- Source: WR Rice, Seahawks agree to deal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com