Chris Chamberlain tears ACL
Chamberlain confirmed in postings on his Twitter page that MRI results from Saturday showed he tore his anterior cruciate ligament.
The linebacker says his knee buckled as he pursued running back Montell Owens during the second quarter.
New Orleans brought in Chamberlain this season as a free agent from St. Louis, where he played under new Saints defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, who was the Rams' head coach the past three seasons.
Chamberlain was a starter last season in St. Louis, but in New Orleans was expected to rotate in at weakside linebacker and play on special teams.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Fathead Marques Colston Junior Wall Graphic