Steve Smith expected to return
CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Panthers coach Ron Rivera says he expects five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver Steve Smith will return to practice Sunday and play in the Sept. 9 season opener against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Rivera says Smith is "improving" after developing a foot infection earlier in the week.
Smith, who didn't practice, is among several key players sitting out Thursday night's preseason finale against the Steelers. Linebacker Jon Beason, offensive tackle Jordan Gross, running back Jonathan Stewart and fullback Mike Tolbert are also out. Rivera isn't ruling anyone out at this point for the season opener.
Rivera says his starters will see "minimal" action against the Steelers, if they play at all.
The Panthers trim their roster to 53 players on Friday.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NFL HEADLINES
- Rodgers still not ready to return for Packers
- Welker likely out until playoffs, sources say
- Vikes' Peterson 'ready to roll' vs. Bengals
- Bears' Briggs medically cleared to return
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
The NFL on ESPN.com
MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL
WEEK 1 PICKS
BOUNTY BANS OVERTURNED
2013 NFL DRAFT
MORE NFL COVERAGE
- Nike Women's Alternate Game Jersey Carolina Panthers Cam Newton #1