Report: Crawford said Moore 'must pay the price' before Bertuzzi attack

TORONTO -- Todd Bertuzzi's on-ice attack on Steve Moore
might have been ordered by former Vancouver Canucks coach Marc
Crawford, according to a report aired on CBC's "The National''
Wednesday night.

Bertuzzi grabbed Moore from behind during a 2004 game, punched
him on the side of his head and then landed on top of Moore,
driving his head into the ice. The bloodied Colorado player was
removed on a stretcher.

Moore sustained a broken neck and a concussion. He filed a
lawsuit against Bertuzzi, the Canucks and their parent company in
Ontario in February.

A statement of claim filed in court by Moore's lawyer and
obtained by CBC alleges that Crawford pointed to Moore's name and
number on a board in the Canucks' locker room during the second
intermission of that game and said "... [Moore] must pay the

In an accompanying document, Moore's lawyer claims Crawford's
statement was disclosed by Bertuzzi while under oath, and by
Canucks general manager Dave Nonis.

A month earlier, during a Feb. 16 game in Denver, Moore checked
Canucks forward Markus Naslund and that led to talk of retribution
against him, culminating with the Bertuzzi hit a month later.

Crawford, now Los Angeles' coach, didn't want to talk about the
report after the Kings' 4-1 loss to Phoenix on Wednesday night.

"I don't think this is the forum to be talking about that," he
said. "We've got enough of our own issues here with the Los
Angeles Kings. Those are the things that I'm concerned about. I'm
not concerned about anything that's said otherwise.''

Bertuzzi, who signed a two-year, $8 million contract with
Anaheim in July, refused to comment when approached after the
Ducks' 4-1 win over Buffalo on Wednesday night.

The NHL gave Bertuzzi a 17-month suspension for the Moore hit.
He gave up about $502,000 in salary, and missed 13 regular-season
games and the Stanley Cup playoffs in 2004. He also was prevented
from playing hockey overseas during the lockout season.

Bertuzzi was later charged with assault causing bodily harm. He
pleaded guilty and was given a conditional discharge and one year's