Ratings up 119 percent from last year
NEW YORK -- Chicago's 4-3 triple-overtime win over Boston attracted the most TV viewers for an opening game of the Stanley Cup finals in 16 years.
NBC's broadcast averaged 6.358 million viewers, the most to watch a Game 1 of the Stanley Cup finals since Detroit and Philadelphia drew 9,000 more on FOX in 1997.
NBC is averaging more than 3 million viewers during the playoffs, an increase of 38 percent compared to last year. NBC and the NBC Sports Network are combining to average 1.191 million viewers for each game, an increase of seven percent versus last year.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Columbus' Johansen steals show at skills event
- Sources: NHL mulls Ryder Cup-style tourney
- TB's Johnson misses skills event, iffy for ASG
- Penguins' Crosby receives injection for injury
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Majestic Men's Boston Bruins 2013-2014 Nhl Presidents' Trophy Gold T-shirt