Jimmy Howard out 2-4 weeks
DETROIT -- Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard is expected to miss two-to-four weeks with a sprained knee.
The team says Howard has a sprained MCL. Howard injured his knee in practice Wednesday.
The injury could affect the 29-year-old Howard's chances at making the U.S. team for next year's Olympics in Russia. Howard is 6-8-7 with a 2.65 goals-against average this season.
Backup goalie Jonas Gustavsson is 8-1-2 with a 1.93 GAA.
The Red Wings host the Pittsburgh Penguins on Saturday night.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Letang practices with Pens, but return uncertain
- Blues' Tarasenko needs surgery, out 6 weeks
- Boychuk (leg) out for Bruins, is day to day
- Stajan thankful for support after death of son
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Levelwear Men's Detroit Red Wings 2014 NHL Winter Classic Jimmy Howard #35 FX Highlight Reel T-Shirt