DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings have recalled defenseman Ryan Sproul from the Grand Rapids Griffins of the AHL.
The 21-year-old Sproul has eight goals and 16 assists in 53 games for the Griffins. He was originally drafted by Detroit in the second round in 2011.
Detroit returns from the Olympic break with a game Wednesday night at Montreal. The Red Wings are trying to extend their streak of postseason appearances -- they have not missed the playoffs since 1990.
The Red Wings announced Sproul's promotion on Tuesday.
Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- GMs debate OT rules, goalies, video replay
- Avs' Stastny out against Jets with sore back
- Rangers' Lundqvist wins 300th, blanks Wings
- Kings cruise past Oilers for 7th straight win
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Detroit Red Wings 2014 Winter Classic Long Knit Hat
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs