Agent: No setback for Sidney Crosby
PITTSBURGH -- The agent for Penguins star Sidney Crosby is refuting a Canadian television report that says the former MVP has suffered a setback in his recovery from a pair of concussions.
CTV News reported Monday that Crosby suspended his training after suffering a recurrence of concussion-like symptoms and wouldn't be ready when the Penguins open training camp next month.
Crosby hasn't played in a game since suffering two concussions within a week's time in January.
"Sidney hasn't been shut down by anyone. He has simply adjusted his summer program accordingly to the different needs for the appropriate recovery," Crosby's agent, Pat Brisson, said. "Training camp is in three weeks from now. It is too premature to speculate all kinds of deliberate information at his point. Sidney will address the media at the appropriate time in order to give everyone an update. As far as I know training camp hasn't started yet."
Penguins general manager Ray Shero said last week he anticipated Crosby will arrive in Pittsburgh a week before camp begins to be evaluated.
Team owner Mario Lemieux told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review Tuesday that he had spoken with Crosby two weeks ago.
"I'm sure he's doing well," Lemieux said, according to the newspaper.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.