Hurricanes trade Tomas Kaberle
The Hurricanes announced the deal Friday, a few hours before their game at Winnipeg.
Carolina signed Kaberle to a three-year, $12.75 million contract in July hoping a reunion with Paul Maurice -- who coached him in Toronto -- would help improve the Hurricanes' defense and strengthen their power play.
Instead, Kaberle had no goals and nine assists in 29 games with Carolina and was a minus-12. Maurice was fired last week.
The 37-year-old Spacek had three assists in 12 games with Montreal and was a plus-2 before he was placed on injured reserve last month with an upper-body injury. The veteran Czech can become an unrestricted free agent after the season.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Blues' Tarasenko needs surgery, out 6 weeks
- Boychuk (leg) out for Bruins, is day to day
- Stajan thankful for support after death of son
- Pens' Letang cleared to practice after stroke
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Montreal Canadiens Edge Red Jersey Shirt