Scotty Bowman to get Order of Canada
OTTAWA -- Former NHL coach Scotty Bowman is among 66 notables to receive the Order of Canada.
The honor recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation.
Bowman, currently a senior adviser with the Chicago Blackhawks, holds the record for the coach with most wins in league history. He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1991.
Bowman joins other former NHL greats Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Bobby Orr in the Order of Canada.
The order is chosen by an independent panel based on nominations from the public.
Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Canes captain Staal has core muscle surgery
- Wild re-sign winger Fontaine to 2-year deal
- Frolik remains with Jets, agrees to 1-year deal
- Tatar agrees to 3-year deal with Red Wings
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Montreal Canadiens Grey Team Logo T-Shirt