Mike Commodore dealt for draft pick
The move was made just before the 3 p.m. ET trade deadline Monday.
Detroit signed Commodore to a $1 million, one-year contract last summer. He played in just 17 games this season and had two assists.
Commodore has 23 goals and 106 points in an NHL career that started during the 2000-01 season with the New Jersey Devils. The 32-year-old old native of Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta, has also played for Columbus, Ottawa, Carolina and Calgary.
The Central Division-leading Red Wings are in a tight race with St. Louis and Nashville to be seeded No. 2 or better in the Western Conference playoffs. The Lightning are trying to rally to earn a spot in the East.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Blue Jackets activate Tyutin, reassign Goloubef
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Tervis New Jersey Devils 16 oz Colossal Wrap Tumbler