Carl Gunnarsson out last two games
The Swedish defenseman took a big hit from Sabres forward Marcus Foligno early in the 6-5 overtime loss on Tuesday in Buffalo.
Maple Leafs coach Randy Carlyle said Wednesday the team expects a recovery period of four to six weeks. He'll likely miss out on playing for his country at the world hockey championship next month.
The 25-year-old had four goals, 15 assists and 20 penalty minutes in 76 games with Toronto this season. In 187 career games, all with the Leafs, he has 54 points and 44 penalty minutes.
Toronto has two games left after a second-half collapse. It hosts Tampa Bay on Thursday before wrapping up Saturday night in Montreal.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Steen, Blues agree to 3-year, $17.4M extension
- Wild put Harding on IR to work on MS meds
- Lucic softens: Still proud of Vancouver roots
- Pens' Engelland suspended 5 games for hit
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- CCM Men's Toronto Maple Leafs 2014 NHL Winter Classic Royal Structured Flex Fit Hat