Oilers sign top pick Nail Yakupov
EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Oilers have signed the top pick in this year's draft, right winger Nail Yakupov, to a three-year, entry-level deal.
"We're very happy to sign Nail to a three-year contract. He's an extremely talented and passionate young man who we feel will be an integral part of our team for many years to come," said Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini on the team's website.
The 18-year-old Russian had 31 goals and 38 assists in 42 games last season for the OHL's Sarnia Sting. He had 49 goals and 101 points in the 2010-11 season.
The 5-foot-11, 190-pounder earned a silver medal at this year's world junior championship.
Information from The Associated Press contributed to this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
- Canucks win SO; Kesler hurt, out 'a while'
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- GameWear Edmonton Oilers Classic Keychain