Ducks sign Steven Whitney
ANAHEIM, Calif. -- The Anaheim Ducks have signed high-scoring forward Steven Whitney to a two-year, entry-level contract.
The Ducks announced the deal Thursday with Whitney, who spent the past four seasons at Boston College.
Whitney was one of the nation's best available undrafted free agents after scoring 45 points in 38 games for the Eagles this past season, ranking second in the nation with 26 goals. He won the Walter Brown Award as the best American-born college hockey player in New England.
Boston College won two NCAA titles and all four Beanpot tournaments during Whitney's career. The Massachusetts native scored 128 points in 160 career games.
Whitney is likely to start his pro career with the Ducks' AHL affiliate in Norfolk.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley out for season after collapse
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
- Bruins streak past Canadiens for 6th in row
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Anaheim Ducks Two Piece Printed Carpet Car Mat Set