Erik Karlsson travels with Senators
The Norris Trophy winner last season as the NHL's top defenseman, Karlsson sustained a serious injury to his Achilles tendon Feb. 13 when Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke stepped on the back of his leg. Karlsson was expected to miss the rest of the season following surgery, but recently returned to practice and was back with regular defense partner Marc Methot for Wednesday's skate.
"I think he's closer," MacLean said when asked if Karlsson would play Thursday night against the Capitals. "But I don't know if -- there's always a chance, yes. But at this point he practiced in a regular turn today so that's another step in the process and we'll see where it goes tomorrow."
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Antigua Men's Ottawa Senators Red Full-Zip Fleece Hoodie