Sidney Crosby status still uncertain
More from ESPN.com
Sidney Crosby's status for Wednesday's playoff opener against the New York Islanders remains uncertain, but there's no panic in Pittsburgh, writes Scott Burnside. Story
Crosby hasn't played since breaking his jaw a month ago, missing Pittsburgh's final 12 games of the regular season. He underwent dental procedures and was cleared to return to noncontact drills last week. Crosby says he'll see doctors again Tuesday and will not play until he is given clearance.
The Penguins thrived in his absence, going 8-4 without their captain while locking up the top seed in the Eastern Conference.
Crosby still finished tied for third in the NHL in scoring despite missing a quarter of the season. He had 15 goals and 41 assists in 36 games.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley undergoing tests on heart
- Fleury blanks Capitals as Penguins sweep
- NHL GMs to recommend changes for faceoffs
- Paille to miss two games due to concussion
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Reebok Men's Pittsburgh Penguins 2014 NHL Stadium Series Sidney Crosby #87 Premier Jersey