He replaces John Anderson, who didn't return after two years with the Coyotes.
The 51-year-old Brown spent the past three seasons with Vancouver, working on a staff that helped lead the Canucks to the Presidents' Trophy in consecutive seasons and a trip to the 2011 Stanley Cup finals.
Brown also has served as an assistant coach for Anaheim, Columbus and Chicago in an NHL career that dates to the 1996-97 season. He also was the head coach for four seasons with Adirondack, the Detroit Red Wings' AHL affiliate.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars' Peverley collapses, game postponed
- Crosby fuels early flurry as Pens clip Caps
- GMs debate OT rules, goalies, video replay
- Kings F Nolan suspended 1 game for punch
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Advantage: Pittsburgh
- The Capitals couldn't take advantage of a late power play and the Penguins won the first of back-to-back games against Washington.
- Sparo Men's Vancouver Canucks Classic Watch
- NHL Home
- Carolina Hurricanes
- Columbus B. Jackets
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Washington Capitals
- Boston Bruins
- Buffalo Sabres
- Detroit Red Wings
- Florida Panthers
- Montreal Canadiens
- Ottawa Senators
- Tampa Bay Lightning
- Toronto Maple Leafs