Panthers, Scott Gomez agree to deal
The Panthers said Wednesday that they agreed to terms with the veteran center on a one-year deal. Gomez leads all active U.S.-born NHL players in assists with 530 and points with 701.
Panthers general manager Dale Tallon said Gomez adds "further depth to the middle of our lineup" and will be a leader to the team's core of young players.
The 33-year-old Gomez has also played for New Jersey, the New York Rangers, Montreal and San Jose. He's been to the Stanley Cup finals three times, winning with the Devils in 2000 and 2003.
Gomez also played for the U.S. on the 2006 Olympic team.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Stars 'happy' Peverley able to visit practice
- GM: Tortorella talk 'rumor and speculation'
- Capitals bring back Orlov for two years, $4M
- Backlund, Flames bombard struggling Ducks
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Trademark Games Florida Panthers Framed Team Logo Mirror