Morgan Rielly will stay with Leafs
Coach Randy Carlyle said Thursday that the 19-year-old defenseman won't be returned to the Moose Jaw Warriors of the Western Hockey League after he plays his ninth game with the Leafs.
A junior-eligible player is allowed to play up to nine games without his NHL team burning a year of his entry-level contract. Rielly will play his ninth game Friday in Columbus.
Rielly has four assists, a minus-3 rating and two penalty minutes in eight games this season.
He was drafted fifth overall by Toronto in 2012.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Peverley gets standing ovation at Stars game
- Penguins' Neal diagnosed with concussion
- Backstrom to get silver medal despite drug test
- Lundqvist ties Richter for Rangers' win record
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- FANMATS Toronto Maple Leafs Two Piece Heavy Duty Vinyl Car Mat Set