Patrick Kaleta drops appeal of ban
Kaleta had the opportunity to further appeal it to an independent arbitrator, a new wrinkle in the new collective bargaining agreement, but ultimately chose not to.
Considered a repeat offender, Kaleta's suspension will cost him $152,439 in lost salary.
Kaleta was suspended five games last season after he shoved New York Rangers center Brad Richards from behind and into the boards. That ban cost Kaleta $72,000 in salary. Kaleta was suspended two other times earlier in his career.
The latest hit took place at 3:10 of the first period of Buffalo's 4-1 loss to Columbus on Oct. 10. Kaleta wasn't penalized in the game.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
MORE NHL HEADLINES
- Ducks beat Kings after tying goal waived off
- Iginla's 2 goals give Bruins 8th straight win
- Bishop gets 31st win to set Lightning record
- Canadiens storm back to down Sens in OT
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Old Time Hockey Men's Buffalo Sabres Pinnacle Navy Hat